Beaman’s Main Street, Memorial Day in 1911
The town of Beaman is located in the northwest quarter of Section 34, in Clay Township, Grundy County. The land was owned by H.H. Beaman and was platted on October 16 and recorded at Grundy Center October 18, 1875, by the Beamans for the town which would always bear the family name.
The town came into existence when the old narrow gauge road from Liscomb made its terminus. The first train rolled into Beaman on Christmas Eve in 1875. The road suspended business in 1876. The road was built by the Farmers Union and for 6 months the trains were transported by steam engines. These were abandoned as too expensive and horses were substituted. The town was Incorporated in 1884. Population ranged around 200. With the advent of the extension of the C. and N.W. Railroad through the county, Beaman took a spurt in growth and in 1884, population was 400.
Prior to the town of Beaman being platted, a small settlement named “Wadeloupe” was located just south of here. And prior to Wadeloupe, records indicate that a settlement called “Jerusalem” was located about a mile south of the present location of Beaman.
As time progressed, businesses, homes, a school, church, and other establishments sprung up. The community has seen many changes since its settlement, and today, Beaman remains a small, friendly community typical of rural Iowa.
(Information taken from “Beaman’s First 100 Years” centennial book.)
To learn more about the history of the community, visit the City of Beaman History Link.